Hints for Home Security
Good home security is some of the best and cheapest insurance you can have. To make your home a safer place, just follow these simple rules:
- Make sure all doors and windows are securely locked and security systems activated whenever you leave home. Don’t forget the garage!
- Always leave a light switched on if you are going out for the evening.
If you are going on holiday remember to..
- Cancel the newspaper, milk and any other regular deliveries. Always make these arrangements in person or by letter. Don’t leave notes for burglars to read.
- Leave a key with trusted neighbours and ask them to keep an eye on your home.
- If you keep jewellery or other valuable items at home, leave them with your bank for safekeeping.
- Lock away garden tools, ladders and anything else that could help a burglar break in.
- Arrange to have your letterbox cleared daily and for someone to mow your front lawn. An overflowing letterbox and long grass are sure signs that you are away.
- Leave your blinds and curtains partly open to give the house a lived-in appearance.
- Clearly list and identify your valuable possessions. Many stolen items are recovered by the Police but cannot be positively identified by their owners.
- Make a list of all your valuables recording their make, model and serial number.
- Clearly mark your television set, stereo equipment and other valuables so that you can identify them easily. Remember that thieves tend to avoid marked items that are traceable.