It’s important to be protected from natural disasters

You can’t put a price on peace of mind.

30 Aug 2017 | Home finance and property | Share:
tornedo over house

Home is a place for rest, recuperation and peace – but what happens when our safe-space is no longer inhabitable? Unfortunately, as Kiwis, we’re pretty well acquainted with this.

In recent years New Zealand has experienced several major natural disasters, impacting the entire country. So, with that in mind, it’s important to do all you can to ensure your home and family is protected.

Protect your home

At Mike Pero Mortgages we have access to a wide range of home insurance solutions to cover multiple different types of dwellings and locations. Our home and contents panel of insurers offer cover including:

  • The repair or rebuild of your home to its original condition

  • Accommodation for you and your family when your home is no longer habitable

  • Any fees or clearance costs

  • A place to work, if your home is where you conduct business and that’s no longer possible

  • Your tech gadgets if they are damaged beyond use

  • Damage that happens over time (like leaky hot water systems)

  • Your gardens, outdoor furniture or terracing

If in doubt, speak to a Mike Pero Adviser about the kind of cover available to you. With inside knowledge of the industry and access to different insurance products, a Mike Pero Adviser will help you decide on the best course of action for your particular situation.

For more information on the home and contents options available to you click here.

Things to consider

Due to recent natural disasters, insurers have now created embargo zones in the north and south island. While these differ between insurers, reading this article will give you a better understanding of where the general boundary lines are.

Recent changes

If you’re looking for residential property insurance in these embargo zones, you’ll need to be aware of a few things that have changed. For example:

  • Insurance policies usually can’t be written for any asset that has not already had a policy taken out on it

  • Your new policy should match the previous one

  • It’s unlikely you’ll be able to change the value of an existing insurance policy

If you’ve just moved into a property, but own high-value possessions, keep in mind the cover you’re eligible for may not completely cover your existing contents. If in doubt speak with one of our advisers on the cover that will suit you.

Don’t forget your car!

Vehicles can be impacted during natural disasters too and, if this is the case, it can be a real disruption. We can find you a policy to have you back on the road and on track.

For more information on the types of cover available click here.

If you’re looking for any other information about insurance, or are even looking at purchasing a home, have a chat with one of our friendly Mike Pero advisers today.

Related Articles

28 Nov
Insurance Articles

Earthquake insurance changes – here’s what you need to know.

The recent earthquakes have caused insurers to make some changes - are you affected?

Read more
17 Feb
Home finance and property

Getting the right insurance

Mark Collins, CEO of Mike Pero Mortgages talks about the importance of having the right insurance cover.

Read more
18 Apr
Insurance Articles

Protect yourself from insurance increases

A global run of natural disasters could impact your insurance premiums. Here’s how to protect your hip pocket.

Read more

Mike Pero (New Zealand) Ltd Copyright © 2021 All rights reserved | Lending and policy criteria and terms and conditions apply. Content on this website is general in nature and is not a recommendation, opinion or guidance to any individuals in relation to acquiring or disposing of a financial product. Readers should not rely on this content and should always seek specific financial advice appropriate to their own individual circumstances.