Landlords, ensure you're compliant

If you’re rushing to adhere to new tenancy laws, help is available.

08 May 2019 | Home finance and property | Share:
Landlords, ensure you're compliant

Many landlords will need to insulate their properties by 1 July under new legal standards for rental homes or face a $4,000 fine.

The new legislation, introduced under the Residential Tenancies Act, requires landlords to install sufficient roof and under-floor insulation.

For a three-bedroom home, the estimated cost of professional installation could be as high as $4,500.

If you don’t have spare cash available, you have options that could help fund the cost.

Redraw from your mortgage

If you’ve made extra payments on your home loan, you may be able to redraw on the surplus cash in your account.

However, it’s important to understand that redrawing from your mortgage will increase the interest charged over the life of the loan. In addition, this extra cash will need to be repaid.

Depending on your loan, you could incur a fee each time you redraw funds. Be sure to check what fees apply before making redraws a regular occurrence.

Take out a personal loan

Another option is to take out a personal loan to help with the cost of insulating your property.

Because a personal loan will incur interest, be sure to take this into account when working out your preferred loan term.

Apply for a payment plan

While government subsidies expired in July 2018, many local councils are offering payment plans.

If eligible, you may be able to borrow up to $5,000. Successful applicants will want to consider any interest on the loan and will need to make repayments through their council rates.

Contact a Mike Pero Mortgage Adviser for more information on what options might be best for your situation.

Related Articles

15 Feb
Home finance and property

What could affect your interest rate this year?

With interest rates at record lows, we explore some different factors that could affect the interest rate on your mortgage this year.

Read more
28 Jun
Home finance and property

Financing a build can be complicated – here are a few things you need to know.

Building a house on a piece of land is a good way to get a foot on the property ladder, but it also creates additional challenges, especially when applying for finance.

Read more
22 Feb
Home finance and property

Why is it harder to get finance when you are self-employed?

Being self-employed can make it harder to get a loan – thankfully there are other options out there if you know where to look.

Read more

Mike Pero (New Zealand) Ltd Copyright © 2021 All rights reserved | Lending and policy criteria and terms and conditions apply. Content on this website is general in nature and is not a recommendation, opinion or guidance to any individuals in relation to acquiring or disposing of a financial product. Readers should not rely on this content and should always seek specific financial advice appropriate to their own individual circumstances.